[SUCS Devel] Door software

James Frost frosty at sucs.org
Sun Jul 29 23:05:32 BST 2007

On 7/29/07, Chris Jones <rollercow at sucs.org> wrote:
> > Nice idea, but I think it would be hard to find types of card that a
> > reasonable number of new signups would possess.
>
> Im not suggesting we simply add support for a given card, rather we make
> the software support whatever standards exist so all cards just work, like
> they did with the previous door software.

I'll take all these ideas on board, and grab the other magstripe
reader when I'm next in Swansea. Magstripe cards are really the only
ones that are/would be a problem as with RFID cards there's only
really one standard we can support.

I particularly like matt's suggestion of storing the last x failed
card numbers and allowing people to set them themselves. Can anyone
see any security issues with this? Al long as people are allowed (at
most, I'd say) 2 card numbers then I don't see an issue with them
giving out lots of keys. But maybe 2 card numbers is too many.
Societies could possibly have, say, up to 3 or 4 for exec members. Is
there an issue with people seeing the number of a previously swiped
card when adding themselves?

I want to re-write the majority of door's code anyway, now I've
re-learnt python from scratch, as it can be muchly improved.

Frosty