Chepstow to Tintern Abbey and First Year Rep Elections

uwshiking uwshiking at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Oct 26 23:57:06 BST 2004

Hello there again!

I hope you've all recovered from the first weekend away! And for those of you who didn't come, hopefully you didn't get too wet in Swansea! ;) Well, what's happening this week then?

First things first, this Sunday October 31st  we're off to the Welsh border for a lovely A graded stroll from Chepstow to Tintern Abbey, through stunning forests flanking the River Wye. Costing only £4, what better way to escape the chaos of University life for a day?

Then, following closely behind, on Monday November 1st, it's the First Year Rep Elections! This is not only a social, but an opportunity for YOU to take part in the running of the club! Sounds scary? Nah! If it's your first year in the club, then you can stand. You don't need any experience (of hiking or being on committees!), though a sense of humour can come in handy, and we won't get you to do anything difficult (unless you want to!). But you do get an inside view of how the club is run, and the well-oiled and super efficient machine that is the hiking club committee (um. well, maybe. I can dream can't I?)!!! So, if you think you've got what it takes, or want to vote, or simply want a fun night out with some scrummy cocktails into the bargain, come along to Cafe Mambo (on the Kingsway) at 8.00pm.

In the spirit of being organised, we're launching our t-shirt competition this week! Every year, we ask you, the members, to design the 'official' hiking club t-shirt, the essential item of kit for any discerning hiker (and you thought it was boots??!!?). We need a large design (but no bigger than A4) for the back, which can be anything you like (but probably should have some reference to hiking...) and a smaller design for the front which should include the words "UWS Hiking Club 2004-2005". Apart from this, the choice is yours, so get scribbling and get your designs to us by November 28th (check out the website for previous years designs). The winner will be announced at the Christmas Dinner (see below!) and will recieve a free t-shirt for their efforts!

So, moving on even further, the end of term may be a long way (and a scary number of assignments) away, but, as I said, we're a super-organised bunch, and so we have, as of this week, tickets for this years Christmas Dinner and Dance! <applause!> This really is the highlight of the social calendar for this term, and a must for all you party-loving hikers out there! On Monday December 6th we're off to the Oxwich Bay Hotel for a fabulous three course Christmas meal, including a free glass of wine, followed by an ultra-cheesy disco to dance the night away! Tickets are £17.50 for members, £20 for non-members, and also include coach travel there and back. So, get yourself a ticket, get your glad rags on, and lets party!

Ok, I'll leave you with that for this week!
Have fun
Sarah :)