[Hiking] Xmas ball and Elan Valley Itenary

Chris Laidler chrislaidler at hotmail.co.uk
Sat Nov 11 21:52:02 GMT 2006

Hello hikers,

Just emailing you with a couple of pieces of info.

Firstly we are pleased to announce our Christmas ball at Oxwich bay hotel,
which this year is being held jointly by hiking club, archery club and
SSWIGS. The date of the ball is the 11th of December and it’s a bargain at
just £20. The price includes a three course menu, transport to and from the
hotel and of course a cheesy disco afterwards. Busses will leave from
university at around 6.30pm and return about 1 o clock. Dress code is black
tie and ball gown.
If you would like a ticket come along to signup next week, also note that as
with all our socials this is open to non-members too.

The second point of this email is an itenary for the Elan valley weekend
away, if anyone is still tempted to come please contact the committee as we
do still have 2 places. Those of you who have only paid a deposit the
remaining £20 is now due.

Friday 17th November

•	Meet in uni at 5.30pm with the aim of leaving by 6pm. There may be one car
leaving later on but I’ll get back to you if this is a problem
•	Arrive at our bunkhouse in Rhayader around 8 – 8.30pm

Saturday 18th November

•	Arising early we set off to the Elan valley, parking near the base of the
lower dam. Our walk on this day in grade A1. Half of this walk is across
rolling hills and half walking round the lakeside.
•	That evening, there may be an option of a pub meal in Rhayader if you
can’t be bothered to cook, most likely there will be a venture out to sample
a local pub

Sunday 19th November

•	Our final day of walking is as yet unplanned but will most likely be
around one of the lakes further up the valley, again this will be a grade A1
walk.
•	That evening we return home, hopefully arriving in Swansea around 8pm

You will need to bring:

•	Food for the weekend
•	Hiking gear (including lots of warm clothing)
•	Sleeping bag. ***Have recieved info that we may be provided with bed
linen, will get back to you when I know more***
•	Also by prior arrangement a cooked breakfast can be arranged, I think
they’re £5each )

Bunkhouse website http://www.midwalesfarmstay.co.uk/index/bunkbarn

Best wishes
Chris Laidler