[Hiking] shropshire details

Chris Laidler chrislaidler at hotmail.co.uk
Wed Feb 7 14:55:02 GMT 2007

Hello, hikers,

The following email is only applicable to those of you coming to Shropshire
this weekend.

At the bottom of the email is the itenary if anyone didn’t get the other
email, but I’m mainly contacting you to let you know about transport
arrangements.
	Originally we were meant to be taking a minibus but we are now taking 3
cars and so have split you all into three groups.

	Car 1: Phil (driver), Alex, Dustin, Tanja,
	Car 2: Martin (driver), Tigger , Heike, Sophie, Johannes
	Car 3: Chris (driver), Elle, Jack, Becky

Unfortunately this does mean having one car with 5 people in but it’s a
fairly large car. My car will be leaving later than the others because of
Elle and Jack(?) who are on a geography trip during Friday daytime, the
other two cars can leave as soon as everyone is ready. It does seem more
logical for Alex, Dustin, Tanja and Phil to leave from Phil’s house (94
Marlborough road) about 4pm. Martin will also be leaving about 4pm, he’ll
meet you at Uplands spar.
My lot I’ll meet you in uni under the bridge between Fulton house and Union
house at 5pm.

For those of you wanting a breakfast from the hostel the owner is away and
so I couldn’t get through to request them, so be sure to bring your own.
Remember to bring plenty of food and warm clothing.... Snow look likely :)

If you’ve got any questions feel free to ask :)

Chris Laidler

Below is the itenary for the Shropshire weekend away, cost of this will be
£35.

• Friday 9th February.
Depart from university in late afternoon, after a 3hr drive we arrive at our
temporary base of bridges youth hostel. The hostel really is in the middle
of nowhere but has a pub next door and is more luxurious than our normal
camping barns.

• Saturday 10th February.
Our first day of walking takes us right from the front door of the youth
hostel on a circular walk across a hill called the Long Mynd with views as
far south as The Brecon beacons.  Then through a series of pretty valleys of
which the main one is Cardingmill Valley (nicknamed “little Switzerland”).
Walk grade (B2)

• Sunday 11th February
For this day there are two options which will depend on general group
opinion and weather condition

1. A shorter walk across one of the local hills, most likely one called
Caradoc which boasts spectacular views of local counties and much of Eastern
Wales. Last year this proved to be a good place for sledging ;) Grade (A,2)

OR

2. A walk along the Severn valley, following the line of the river Severn,
we then return from a small village called Arley on steam train which was
used for the start of the recent chronicles of Narnia film. Grade (B,1) –
there would be charge of about £6 for a ride on the steam train.

Return to swansea Sunday evening

You will need to bring,

• Food for the duration of the trip (I believe the pub next door to the
hostel does food if anyone wants a meal out one night)
• Usual hiking gear for two days hiking.

All cooking utensils and bedding will be provided at the hostel, other
facilities include a lounge / games room, showers.