[Jokes] Y zero K

Chris McKenna cmckenna at sucs.org
Fri Feb 1 20:58:44 GMT 2002

--
Chris 'Awkward' McKenna

cmckenna at sucs.swan.ac.uk
awkward at gmx.co.uk
www.sucs.swan.ac.uk/~cmckenna

but with the heart

Antoine de Saint Exupery

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 21:18:30 +0100
From: Ria Peters <riapeters at wanadoo.nl>
To: ttforumfriends at yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [TTFF] A little bit of humour

EVEN THE YOK WAS YUCK- NOT TO MENTION THE Y1K

(Translated from Latin scroll dated 2BC):

Dear Cassius
Are you still working on the Y zero K problem? This change from BC to AD is
giving us a lot of headaches and we haven't much time. I don't know how
people will cope with working the wrong way around. Having been working
happily downwards forever, now we have to start thinking upwards. You would
think that someone would have thought of it earlier and not left it to us to
sort it all out at this last minute.

I spoke to Caesar. He was livid that Julius hadn't done something about it
when he was sorting out the calendar. He said he could see why Brutus turned
nasty. We called in Consultus, but he simply said that continuing downwards
using minus BC won't work, and as usual charged a fortune for doing nothing
useful. Surely we will not have to throw out our hardware and start again?

Macrohard will make yet another fortune out of this. The money lenders are
paranoid, of course! They have been told all usury rates will invert and
they will have to pay their clients to take out loans. It's an ill wind ...

As for myself, I just can't see the sand in an hour- glass flowing upwards.
"Y zero K it's the talk of Rome."

We have heard there are three wise men in the East who have been working on
the problem, but unfortunately they won't arrive until it's all over. There
are plans to stable all horses at midnight at the turn of the year as there
are fears they will stop and try to run backwards, damaging chariots. Some
say the world will cease to exist at the moment of transition. Anyway, we
are still continuing to work on this blasted Y zero K problem. I will send a
parchment to you if anything further develops.

I guess there won't be any similar concerns with the Y1K, etc, because with
the rate of scientific advance (how about those new aqueducts!) by then
there'll be no problem the boffins can't solve. If you have any ideas,
please let me know.

Plutonius

Monitoring Service trial
http://us.click.yahoo.com/ACHqaB/bQ8CAA/ySSFAA/p3prlB/TM