[Jokes] Fwd: FW: (Fwd) Brilliant

Philip Long pklong at btinternet.com
Thu Jul 18 20:12:17 BST 2002

The following is an actual question given on a University of
Washington chemistry midterm exam. The answer from one student was
so "profound" that he professor shared it with his colleagues via
the Internet, which is of course, why we now have the pleasure of
enjoying it as well..... Bonus Question: Is Hell exothermic
(gives  off heat) or endothermic (absorbs heat)? Most of the
students wrote proofs using Boyle's Law, (gas cools off when
it expands and heats up when it is compressed) or some variant.

One student wrote the following: First, we need to know how the mass of
Hell is changing in time. So we need to know the rate that souls
are moving into Hell and the rate they are leaving. I think we can
safely assume that once a soul gets to Hell, it will not leave.
Therefore, no souls are leaving. As for how many
souls are entering Hell, lets look at the different religions that
exist in the world today. Some of these religions state that if you are
not a member of their religion, you will go to Hell. Since there
are more than one of these religions and since people do not belong

to more than one religion, we can project that all souls go to
Hell. With birth and death rates as they are, we can expect the
number of souls in Hell to increase exponentially. Now we look at
the rate of change of the volume in Hell because Boyle's Law states

that in order for the temperature and pressure in Hell to stay the
same, the volume of Hell has to expand proportionally as souls are
added. This gives two possibilities:

1.If Hell is expanding at a slower rate than the rate at which souls
enter Hell, then the temperature and pressure in Hell will increase
until all Hell breaks loose.

2.Of course, if Hell is expanding at a rate faster than the increase of
souls in Hell, then the temperature and pressure will drop until Hell
freezes over. So which is it?

If we accept the postulate given to me by Ms. Teresa Banyan during my
freshman year, "that it will be a cold day in Hell before I sleep with
you," and take into account the fact that I still have not succeeded in
having sexual relations with her, then, #2 cannot be true, and thus
I am sure that Hell is exothermic and will not freeze.
The student received the only "A" given