[Jokes] How cold will this winter be?

Chris McKenna cmckenna at sucs.org
Sun Sep 19 15:47:25 BST 2004

I spotted this on a website I read:

How cold will [winter] be this year? I'm reminded of an old story.

Some years ago the native people on a remote reservation asked their new
chief the same question. Like many of his people, he was caught between
the old ways and the modern world, and he wasn't sure how best to predict
the weather. In order to be on the safe side, he told his people that the
signs said that the winter was going to be a cold one and that they should
stockpile a large supply of wood for fuel.

Being a modern leader, with knowledge of science and meteorology, the
chief also decided to consult the government's weather forecasting service
to see what they said.

'Is this winter going to be a cold one?' he asked.

'Our long-range forecasts say this winter is going to be quite cold, yes,'
the weather service's meteorologist replied.

So the chief returned to his people and urged them to stockpile even more
wood for fuel in order to be prepared for the winter. Then, a couple of
weeks later, he contacted the government weather service again to get a
more up-to-date forecast.

'Are you sure this winter is going to be a cold one?' he asked.

'Yes, we're increasingly convinced that it's going to very cold,' came the
reply.

The chief returned to his people again and urged them to stockpile every
piece of wood they could find. And a couple of weeks after that he
contacted the weather service for a final check on their forecasts.

'Are you absolutely sure that this winter is going to be a very cold one?'
he asked.

'Absolutely, we've no doubt at all about it now,' the meteorologist
answered. 'It's going to be one of the coldest ever.'

'How can you be so sure?' the chief asked, puzzled by the certainty of
these government scientists.

'Well,' replied the meteorologist. 'The natives are stockpiling wood like
crazy!"

--
Chris 'Awkward' McKenna

cmckenna at sucs.org