[UWSMC] First weekend trip - Portland

uws mc uwsmc at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Oct 17 13:53:53 BST 2006

Hi everyone,

Time to let you know about our first weekend away -
we're going to Portland from the 27th to the 29th of
October. We'll leave in the afternoon on Friday, and
be back quite late Sunday.

There is a sign-up sheet on the club notice board but
there are a limited number of places with a few
reserve slots, so get there quick! The trip will cost
£30, with £10 of this to be paid as a deposit at any
club session before the trip to guarantee your place.

We're staying in a Youth Hostel for the weekend. This
is self-catering so you will need to bring food. You
will also need a sleeping bag.

If you don't have your own climbing gear the club can
provide you with a harness, screwgate, belay device,
helmet and possibly shoes if you find a pair that fit
you. You need to tell us what you need before the trip
though! You'll be paired up with an experienced member
for the weekend - they will bring any other essential
kit (such as ropes, quickdraws etc).

To come on this trip you must be able to lead belay.
If you can't do this yet, or don't know what it is,
don't worry - we can teach you before the trip at any
session. This is very important - please be aware that
if you sign up for the trip but we are not fully
confident in your ability to lead belay safely then
unfortunately you won't be able to come. This is for
everyone's safety.

This has been a great trip the last few years and
everyone gets lots of climbing done, so good luck in
getting a place

UWSMC Committee
http://www.uwsmc.org.uk