[SUMC] ** Welsh Climbing Championships this weekend! **

SUMC Committee sumc at sumc.org.uk
Mon Dec 6 14:00:41 GMT 2010

Hi,

This year's Welsh Climbing Championships are taking place at the Summit
Centre (formerly known as WICC - near Merthyr) on Saturday 11th December.
The competition has new 'Male Student' and 'Female Student' categories, so
it would be a great chance for us to show what we've got against other Welsh
Uni's. You must bring your NUS or student card to get into these
categories.

There's a new format to the competition this year, in which each competitor
will attempt two qualifying routes in the morning, with the top 10 in each
category competing in a final in the afternoon. The two qualifying routes
will be demonstrated and climbed in the normal 'flash' format, whilst the
finals will be run as on-sights (not demonstrated). All climbs will be
leads, so if you want to compete you should be comfortable with leading. No
info has been provided about what grades to expect in which categories, so I
can't be too sure how hard the routes will be, but at a guess I'd say you
should be leading 6a and above. For more info on the competition, check out
www.thewelshclimbingchampionships.co.uk .

Registration opens at 9:30am with the competition starting at 10:00am. Entry
is £15 for the day and all entrants will receive a competition t-shirt.

We're not running this as an official club trip so we'll need drivers
please. If you'd like to come please reply to this email, also stating
whether you are willing to drive and how many spaces you have in your car.
Spaces in cars will be allocated on a first come first served basis,
according to who replies to this email first. We'll let you know as soon as
you've got a seat in a car.

Cheers,
Amy