[SUMC] Lake District Summer Trip

SUMC Committee sumc at sumc.org.uk
Mon May 2 09:33:45 BST 2011

Dear all,
our annual summer trip, which this year will be to the Lake District, is
just over a month away.   For anyone who's not been, the Lake District is an
outstanding area of mountains and lakes in the north of England, with loads
of the country's best multi-pitch trad. climbing.  There's also lots of good
hiking and scrambling in the Lakeland fells.  The trip will run from the
18th of June to the 24th.

We'll be staying at a campsite right in the heart of Langdale, which is one
of the main climbing areas in the Lake District.  The campsite (National
Trust Great Langdale<http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-global/w-localtoyou/w-northwest/w-lakedistrict-feature/w-northwest-lakedistrict_camping/w-northwest-lakedistrict_camping-langdale.htm>)
is within walking distance of many of the major climbing venues in the
valley (such as Gimmer crag, Pavey Ark, Bowfell and Raven Crag), as well as
the many of the main fells, including Scafell Pike.  It has very good
facilities including showers, a drying room and a small shop.  Perhaps best
of all, its has at least 3 really good pubs within a 5 minute walk away.

The trip is open to anyone who can second multi-pitch trad competently, at a
minimum grade of V.Diff.  Please be aware also that many of the crags
involve a walk up mountainous terrain to reach them, so a basic level of
fitness is a requirement to anyone coming on the trip.

As we're camping, you'll need to bring tents, sleeping mats, sleeping bags
and cooking equipment (stove, mess tins etc..).  If you want to come, but
don't have access to any of these items, let us know, as we may be able to
lend you some.

Other things that it is essential you bring include:
-climbing gear (harness, helmet, rock boots, belay plate etc..)
-waterproof coat
-hiking boots, that are waterproof and have a high ankle.  'Approach' shoes
are not hiking boots...
-warm clothes
-rucksack to carry you kit in for a day on the hills

The cost of the trip will be in the region of £70, and we require a £50
deposit when you sign up, to book your place.  We require a deposit because
we need to pay the campsite in advance.

The sign up is now open, if you'd like to come on the trip, please sign up
as usual, stating any equipment you need to borrow.  If you're a tent
owner/willing car driver, please tick these options.

Kind Regards
Tom Webber