[SUMC] Self rescue course

SUMC Committee sumc at sumc.org.uk
Mon Mar 19 17:34:43 GMT 2012

Hi guys

This E-mail is aimed at ALL trad leaders (experienced and in-experienced)
so if you're not a trad leader, feel free to ignore this.

We're offering to those interested a partially subsidised course on self
rescue whilst climbing. To give you a bit of an idea of whats involved,
heres a simple scenario

*You're out leading a route and you get to the crux. Suddenly overcome with
cramp/fear etc. you find yourself unable to carry on upwards. What do you
do?*

The aim of this course is to teach you how to get yourself safely out of
different situations in a controlled, safe manner which (touch wood)
hopefully you own't have to use that often. But having the knowledge of
knowing what to do could potentially save a life or two...

The course is a single day on this coming Saturday (24th) from 9:00am -
5:00pm. The course is for 3-6 people and will require atleast 1 car driver
for more than 4 people. If we get more than 8 signed up we can sort out a
second course another time. The subsidised part is that the club will pay
for transport costs (i.e. fuel) to the course which will probably be on the
Gower somewhere. The course itself costs £25 which for a full day is pretty
damn cheap.. You need your own harness, shoes and helmet, and between a
pair of people, a rack (with prussiks!!) and a lead rope.

If you need more details let me know. I'll open a 6 person sign up sheet on
the website shortly for those interested for this weekend only, however if
youd like to do it another time, please reply and let us know so we can
arrange another date if possible.

It'll be a great benefit to everyone who attends and for those looking to
stay in the club for the coming years - good climbing practice IS
invaluable!

Thats all for now

Matt Ev