[SUMC] Bouldering Competition/BUCS Team Try Outs

SUMC Committee sumc at sumc.org.uk
Fri Oct 18 13:02:40 BST 2013

Hi everyone

I hope you are having tons of fun putting your new climbing skills into
good use in top-roping. But if you didn't know already, there's also a
bouldering room at Dynamic Rock, the centre we go to every Monday.
Yesterday the bouldering room at DR was reset so all the routes there are
now brand new.  I think we should take advantage of this and have a
bouldering competition on Monday with score cards to see how well everyone
does. Of course, if you go to DR before then can you please write SUMC on
your scorecards that you are given please so that I can collect them once
DR have calculated scores.

This competition is also a good chance to evaluate your skills against your
friends so that we can find the top boulderers to try out for our BUCS
team. BUCS is a competition between all of the UK universities in about 45
sports and we get to compete in the climbing section. The event we go to is
usually at 'The Works' in Sheffield, in February.
For BUCS we enter two teams of three and we also have a team of reserves in
case of injury or unexpected absence, so there are plenty of places so why
not try :)

For now I will only be slimming the competitors to about 15-20 people who
will then receive coaching and training and compete in another competition,
whoever improves the most, or whoever is generally an amazing boulderer
gets into the team to compete.
Of course, if you just want to boulder for fun and don't want to be
considered, you don't have to hand your card into me, or even write a card.
No pressure :)

Anyway, I hope to see you all on Monday on those fantastic new routes,
edging or cranking or rocking over, just generally having fun and giving it
a try.

Zara Sheady [?]
Training Officer