[mw-devel] branches

Finn Wilcox finnw at sucs.org
Sat Aug 3 02:24:10 BST 2002

I have created a new branch in the mw cvs tree called "stable_2_12".
This is intended for bug fixes (only) that will end up in the 2.12 release.
The plan is to create a branch shortly before each release.

Note: this is a slight change to the version numbering scheme, since it is
the version we are about to release, not the last release.  It also means
that the TWEAK value will be non-zero in the actual release build (though
normal users won't see that).

A quick intro for anyone unfamiliar with cvs branches:

Working on the branch file in a separate directory is recommended.
To create this directory:
	cd ~/cvs
	cvs co -d mw.stable -r stable_2_12 mw
(change the directory names if you wish)

Committing bug fixes:
Normally you want the fix to go into both branches.
Simplest way to do this:
Work on the fix in the mw.stable directory.  Commit as normal when finished.
Increment the tweak as usual.
To copy the fix into the trunk (including added files):
	cd ~/cvs/mw/src
	cvs update -j stable_2_12 <file> ...
(Resolve any conflicts, & make sure it compiles)

If there are new directories
	cvs update -dR -j stable_2_12 <dir> ...

	cvs commit

Creating a new branch (when you want to create a release with the current
feature set, but there may be bugs).
(Commit everything first)
	cvs rtag -bc stable_2_N		# N = new minor verson number
Edit Makefile, change MINOR to (N+1), TWEAK to 0
	cvs commit Makefile
Note: Again the Makefile in the trunk contains the *next* minor version
number, i.e., the version following the release we hope to build from the
stable branch.

Building release versions:
In the mw.stable directory, edit the makefile.  Uncomment -DRELEASE and
comment out -ggdb, wrappers etc.  Leave minor version as it is, & increment
tweak.
	cvs commit Makefile
	cvs tag r2_N			# N = current minor verion number
	make bb

Hopefully this will avoid the problem we have had in the past, of people
racing to get new features checked in in time for a planned release,
problems with new features causing the release to be delayed etc.

Finn