[mw-devel] MW3 r881 - branches/portable/src

Justin Mitchell arthur at sucs.org
Sun Apr 30 15:54:08 BST 2006

On Sun, 2006-04-30 at 01:11 +0100, Peter Berry wrote:

> Incidentally, is there any sane reason it was sizeof(userposn) in the
> first place?

Both the pid and userposn fields are very important.

if process id's are 64 bit then we really should change the structures
because if the uptime is long enough we will presumably get there.

the pid is used in the name of the fifo used to communicate between
clients, so if you truncate that you break those clients.

the userposn is a file offset where the users record is kept, that can
probably be safely truncated as were unlikely to get a users.bb file big
enough.

those two values are probably THE most important two in the whole
system, without them you cant find or communicate with a user.

--
Justin Mitchell <arthur at sucs.org>