[mw-devel] 'Grammarise gag' (fwd)

Steve Hill steve at nexusuk.org
Tue Feb 28 09:21:53 GMT 2006

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006, Peter Berry wrote:

> A suggestion for a new gag from wedge...

{"doesnt","doesn't"},
{"werent","weren't"},
{"shant","shan't"},
{"wont","won't (unless you meant 'wont' as in, 'it's my wont to misspell
things which is why I've been gagged'"},

Can't we just do "s/nt\>/n't/g" for these?  would that catch stuff that
shouldn't be changed?

{"Im","I'm"},

That would be annoying - how many times do people talk about IM? (instant
messaging)

{"sucs","SUCS"},

The inability to implement capitalisation aside, this would do
www.sucs.org -> www.SUCS.org which might be undesireable.

{"CD's","CDs"},
{"DVD's","DVDs"},

What if you were talking about "the DVD's special features"?

{"hoover","Hoover"},

Whilest Hoover is a proper noun, it is also in common usage as a normal
noun - should it be capitalised in that case?

{"biro","Biro"},

Again, do we want to capitalise in cases where it isn't being used as a
proper noun (i.e. it's describing a generic ball point pen rather than
specifically a Biro)

{"elsmorian","Elsmorian"},
{"arthur","Arthur"},
{"dez","Dez"},
{"firefury","FireFury"},
{"psychodom","psycodom"},

Shouldn't have people's usernames in gags - this could go on forever with
every single user.

--

  - Steve