[mw-devel] SILC Ports

Chris Jones rollercow at sucs.org
Thu Mar 29 10:06:40 BST 2007

On 29 Mar 2007, at 05:53, James Frost wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm e-mailing to ask if anyone has any objections to me e-mailing to
> request port 706 (SILC) be opened for us. I'd like it opened so we
> could do a bit more testing as to the viability of SILC. The SILC
> server, toolkit, and client we have on silver are now all running from
> RPMs as requested, and I'm happy to keep things up to date (that was
> the objection RC gave previously).

If you want it opened now its been packaged, I'll include it on my
next email to PM as I have a few requests I need to send off anyway.

> I've also started a page on the Adminwiki for discussion of the idea
> of moving to SILC, as requested by Firefury. I've put quite a bit of
> info up there, so please have a read. If you have any
> comments/questions, feel free to add them to the page (although mark
> them with your name so we know who's said what) :)
> You can find it at http://sucs.org/adminwiki/Main/Talker

There seem to be 2 major arguments among all that propaganda

1) Better support for multiple rooms
2) Clients of a users choice

Both of which seem to be getting active development for milliways
anyway.

You also seem to point out a killer problem...

"SILC currently doesn't cater for unique usernames (more than one
person can have the same name)"

This is NOT good, we should be moving towards tying system users to
every service, not away... even further away from letting anyone who
wants to login and call them selves rollercow, or frosty or whoever!

--
Chris Jones, SUCS Admin
http://sucs.org