[All-societies] All-Society E-mail

Treasurer treasurer at swansea-union.co.uk
Thu Oct 5 18:16:10 BST 2006

Dear All,

Sorry for so much content but this is the first e-mail of the year, and
possibly one of the most important, so please read it carefully. Please
share any relevant information to your membership...............

to ensure that I know what you are doing, but most importantly, that you are
doing it properly. As some of you may remember from last year, you will lose
out at the society awards if you do not follow procedure.

Some of you have not handed in your society's registration form. It is
essential that you fill it in and give it to me otherwise you will not be an
official society and will not be able to use SU facilities such as the
minibus or Club DV8 (Diva's to the old school amongst us!) or even a notice
board. Also, if I have no record of you then you will not be allocated
webspace for the new societies website. It should also include your society
e-mail address and all other relevant contact details.

Society handbooks are available from outside my office door. The handbook
contains all the need to know essentials of running a society. Please
familiarise yourself with its content as this will save all of us a lot of
hassle. You are allowed 3 per committee and it is available online at
www.societies.swansea-union.co.uk. It contains one error however so please
adapt your copy: the lady you need to contact in order to book lecture
theatres (Liz Cleverly) has recently got married. She is now Liz Griffiths,
so please edit her e-mail address accordingly.

By now you should have paid in your membership fees. If not, then please
ensure you do pay them in to the Finance Office on Level 2 of the SU
building. The Finance Office is open between 10am and 4pm.

There will be an all-societies meeting next Wednesday at 6pm, location to be
confirmed, but will probably be in Faraday A. Attendance is compulsory for
at least one committee member. If you sit on more than one society committee
then you may attend for all of them. This meeting will be very important
(but brief) as we will be clarifying some points for the forthcoming year.

To help your society get the best deals for sponsorship etc, the Student
Union now has a sales and marketing employee. Her name is Annie Cottam and
you can contact her either via 01792 602496 or
annie.cottam at m4studentmarketing.co.uk.

This year we are trying to implement a new system for risk assessments. If
your society does the same activity/event on a regular basis, then you can
fill in one risk assessment form to cover you for the full year. You will
have to fill in a new risk assessment form for any extraordinary
activity/event you do, and if things like the location change.

I will be sending out a separate e-mail explaining the notice board
situation as it is a bit complicated at the moment.

As you may have heard on the grapevine, due to the shocking rise in the
price of utilities the university has changed its portering provision. From
now on, all buildings except the library, Fulton House and the Taliesin Arts
Centre will be closed from 6pm every day. This includes the Taliesin Annexe
and all the lecture theatres some of you use. If you want/need to use these
facilities you will be charged c.£50 every time. This situation is highly
unacceptable from the SU's point of view and I am currently trying to lobby
the relevant university bodies to find an answer to this problem. What you
can do to help is write to me explaining how you are affected e.g. the
musicians and choral societies now have nowhere to practice while I presume
SUMAsoc and Sci-Fi have no place for their film showings etc....

The first SGM of the year will be at 5pm on 12/10/2006, hopefully in Faraday
A. Attendance by one committee member is compulsory, and this time they
cannot represent more than one society. A fine will be imposed for
non-attendance and a register will be taken as per the SU constitution. An
SGM (Student General Meeting) is a democratic meeting chaired by us
sabbatical officers where SU policy is discussed and made, and it also gives
you a real chance to make a difference within the SU and university.

Thankyou for your patience in reading this mail out. Look forward to many
more (not so massive ones) in the future.

Best wishes,

Owen

Owen Morris
Trysorydd/Treasurer

Undeb Myfyrwyr Prifysgol Abertawe/Swansea University Students Union
Parc Singleton,
Abertawe,
SA2 8PP

E-mail: treasurer at swansea-union.co.uk
Tel: 01792 295469
Fax: 01792 206029
Web: www.swansea-union.co.uk
Prifysgol Abertawe: Ennillydd Gwobr y Times Higher Education Supplement 2005
am y Profiad Gorau i Fyfyrwyr yn y DU
Swansea University: Winner of the 2005 Times Higher Education Supplement
Award for the UK's Best Student Experience