[All-societies] Environments and Ethics

Owen Morris treasurer at swansea-union.co.uk
Thu Oct 26 19:14:37 BST 2006

Dear All,

I am forwarding this information on behalf of the People and Planet Society.
Don't forget this service is available to all registered societies only.

*	My name is Brad Day and I am a member of People and Planet society.
Our big campaign this year is going to 'Go Green'. What we are calling for
is for the University to implement a long term decisions that will ensure
the university becomes a far greener place for good! The four main points of
the campaign is to get the commitment of the senior management, get a
comprehensive review of the environmental issues surrounding the university,
get a new a refreshed and effective environmental policy that the management
can then be scrutinised and held to account for, and finally to gain the
employment of a full time environment manager who's sole job will be to
implement the environment policy.

Of course, the key to the whole campaign lies in tackling the university's
senior management. Predictably, this is also likely to be the hardest task.
Therefore to stand any chance of success it is crucial we get as many
students and organisations on board as possible. It would be great to get a
climate change coalition formed for the purposes of the campaign.

I myself am coordinating a mass demonstation on the 1st of December (
Friday). For this we would love it is all the societies can come onboard and
their members come along to show their support. We'd also love it if
societies can offer something individual and specific to their society's
talents and abilities. The demonstration will start with a short rally style
thing in dining room C at 12 O'clock. We are asking some of the Presidents
or representatives from societies to give a short speech at this rally to
demonstrate to broad coalition of support for the cause. Of these ideas,
please let me know what your society might be able to contribute to the
Demonstration -be as creative as you like!

Please contact me on 370885 at swan.ac.uk asap! I'll give you further details
if and when you feel able to come onboard. Please do!

*	GO GREEN WEEK

27TH November - 1st December 2006

Monday 27th: Stand in Fulton House all day giving away Green Guides for
students and getting petition cards signed.

Tuesday 28th: Possible bike MOT, and stand in Fulton House

Wednesday 29th: Talk at 2pm by Hare Krishna man and hopefully someone from

P+P or Friends of the Earth. 7.30pm David Vaughn speaking at Dylan Thomas
centre about 'Antarctic and climate change: hot air or chilling reality.'

Thursday 30th: Bike MOT and continuing collection of petition cards and bike
photo petitions.

Friday 1st: Big Demo 12pm Dining Room C to meet.  Presentations by societies
and People and Planet. March to the abbey to hand over Green Guide to VC.

Owen Morris

Trysorydd/Treasurer

Swansea University Students' Union

Singleton Park,