[SUCS Devel] SUCS desktop defaults

Graham Cole chckens at sucs.org
Fri Aug 17 20:33:00 BST 2007

Hey everyone,

Just been playing with Sabayon (http://www.gnome.org/projects/
sabayon/) with a view to making nice defaults for some things on SUCS
machines. Just wondering if anyone had any suggestions for things
which ought to be automatically done to new users' desktops, or if
anyone would like to help.

Useful customisations I can think of:

1. Pretty wallpaper image
	I'm envisaging a nice picture of something SUCS/Swansea related with
a SUCS logo somewhere in it. I'd appreciate someone making something
suitable (frosty: did you get anywhere with this?)

2. Helpful desktop icons
	I've made icons for opening the SUCS homepage, help pages,
connecting to Milliways (via a script to SSH to silver first) and the
SUCS forum. I find the Fedora Applications menu really terrible for
finding any of the things which users typically want, so perhaps a
couple of icons for things like web browser, e-mail client, IM would
be useful too... Which equals a lot of icons on the desktop. There
must be an elegant way to solve the mess..?

3. Configure instant messenger to connect to SUCS XMPP(/Jabber)
server by default
	This is very do-able, though it will probably require writing a
script to generate an accounts.xml for Pidgin to be run at user
signup time. I'm going to ask the Sabayon people if this kind of
customisation figures in their grand plan.

4. Configure e-mail client to connect to SUCS/Uni IMAP accounts
	Thunderbird? Evolution? I can't say I have a clue about how either
work, but bunging a username and some connection details in somewhere
sounds possible and desirable.

That's about all I can think of right now. I obviously want to get
this sorted out in time for all the newbies in September, so if
anyone has any thoughts I'd appreciate them nowish :-)

- Graham