[SUCS Devel] Data held on membership

Chris Jones rollercow at sucs.org
Fri Jul 13 10:04:56 BST 2007

Around September last year there was a certain amount of discussion
about the amount of data we hold on members. With all this talk of
sanity in the signup system we should revisit it!

What im interested is peoples (particularly those who were vocal when
it last came up) opinions on what we should hold on a new updated
signup/member management system.

So a few questions
What data is relevant, what is not? What data should be required and
what should be optional. Is there anything we don't currently ask for
which we should?

At current we have the following in the members database

* username
* realname
* title - Unused
* year - year of study
* course - course title
* address - postal address
* phone
* email
* paid - date membership expires (currently blank for life and such
or Sept. 2007)
* comments - comments for staff, i.e. warnings, extra details for
societies
* id - student ID
* type - membership type, (i.e. student, society, life, alumni)
* uid - system uid, technically this should be the primary key
* card_number - swipe card number
* guest_mac  - guestnet mac
* wireless_mac  - unimplemeneted wireless guestnet mac
* rfid_number - rfid card number
* lastupdate - when the given entry was last changed
* lastedit - who last changed the entry
* privacy - Used to be used to turn on display of full details on old
website, nobody ever did.
* pending - used to be used as part of the signup system, unused
currently
* photo - url of a photo, unused these days
* showphoto - unused these days

--
Chris Jones, SUCS Admin
http://sucs.org