[SUCS Devel] Door software

Justin Mitchell arthur at sucs.org
Mon Jul 30 09:27:07 BST 2007

On Sun, Jul 29, 2007 at 09:57:34PM +0100, Chris Jones wrote:
> > Nice idea, but I think it would be hard to find types of card that a
> > reasonable number of new signups would possess.
>
> Im not suggesting we simply add support for a given card, rather we make
> the software support whatever standards exist so all cards just work, like
> they did with the previous door software.

the old card reader hardware read only track 2 (numeric only)

which contains a start char, the card number, a seperator, and then
other junk and a stop char.

the other junk tends to be stuff like expiry dates and isnt in
any predicatable format that i could see.

so if you take only the stuff between the start char and the seperator
then you can cope with any card type.

i get the impression that the current card reader will read track 1 as well
and possibly track 3.  it must indicate somehow which is which, probably
a control code, so youll need to investigate carefully.