[SUCS Devel] Signup System

Chris Jones rollercow at sucs.org
Wed Jul 15 14:08:48 BST 2009

As many of you know the current front end to the sign-up system has been
a horrible bodge for years and has been broken since the move to debsilver.

I would like to see it rewritten over the summer so we're ready for
freshers fair without pain and suffering.

The output from the new system needs to:
* Work
* Be properly integrated to the main website
* Validate and make sane all user input, reporting any errors to the end
user (perhaps without having to submit? via jquery magic)
* Work even without javascript enabled
* Add a row in the members database.
* Generate a LDIF file & call to the apache add user script.
* Email logs@ to let us know that a new user has been added
* Tell the new user their password, persuading them to change it asap
(and also email it to them)

Code to do the system stuff (eg find the next uid, generate a password,
write the LDIF file) exists and is fairly sane.

Validation checks may also exist, no guarantee they are sane however!

We can automagicly lookup certain things to help out our user fill out
the form quickly and accurately.

**the interesting bit...
I've bodged up a quick demo of the automagic stuff at -
http://sucs.org/~rollercow/temp/test/signup

It should:
* lookup student numbers to populate the name feild - (488232 for example)
* lookup postcodes to populate the address feild

Any thoughts / ideas / questions to the devel list!

--
Chris Jones, SUCS Admin
http://sucs.org