[SUCS Devel] Gitlab

Imran Hussain imranh at sucs.org
Mon Jun 1 14:26:38 BST 2015

Hello,

SUCS currently offers members svn and trac.

I say we start using Gitlab as well.

This is not about going from svn to git but about offering gitlab.

Gitlab is able to offers us (as a whole society) better workflow for
certain types of projects.

For example, the sucs site svn. If you're a new member and want to get
involved with the current redesign currently you have to checkout the
code and start editing, and you can't make commits, so for starters
members can't even version control their own changes, what's the point
in having version control? If we are forcing people to do stupid stuff
like main.css.bak, main.css.old, main.css.orginal etc...

We could give every tom, dick, and harry commit access but that means
they'd be able to push god knows what to the live branch. I'd rather
not.

We can just ask them to email patches to the devel list but that
doesn't sort the problem of them being able to track their own changes
on their local copy. Also what if they want to make a big change to the
site?

On Gitlab, if you wanted to get involved with the sucssite, you'd click
fork on the web interface, clone(checkout) your fork, makes your
changes, and then go back on the web interface and make a merge request
for a set of commits you've made.

Another use case is if a member wants to setup a private svn/trac thing
for them and some of their mates.

Currently with svn and trac the user has to create the svn repo, then
setup a trac instance, and then email admin@ asking the admin team to
setup the permissions for it because only people with sudo on silver can
edit things in /etc/apache2/

Gitlab lets them do this all by themselves without them having to ever
email admin at . It gives the person who created the repo admin privs over
it so they can setup their own access permission to it.

As of writing gitlab has already been setup to be feature parity with
our current svn/trac/apache setup.

--
Imran Hussain
http://sucs.org