[SUCS Devel] Current Direction for SUCS Sites

Imran Hussain imranh at sucs.org
Mon Dec 3 10:21:40 GMT 2018

On 2018-12-03 09:49, Alex (vectre) wrote:
> On 02/12/2018 15:18, Imran Hussain wrote:
>> The whole point of doing all of this is to make everything easier to
>> rewrite by decoupling it from each other.
>
> If we use a CAS to manage authentication - then we can have every
> other microservice run in it's own way, whether it's written in
> Python, PHP or something else entirely. As the only things that would
> need to be interconnected are the sites with the authentication
> system, we can just focus on that. I'm not sure if there's a Central
> Authentication Service written for PHP, I know there is one for
> Python. I might try and get that set up then as it uses standard API
> calls and sesssions, we could try "connecting" the microservices that
> way?

Auth got discussed on mw and we came up with a solution.

sso.sucs.org - does the actual auth and has its own db backing it.

You sign into sso.sucs.org it generates a session id, inserts that into
a db, and sets a cookie with that id for sucs.org. All the other sites
can read that cookie, and will have readonly access to that db and can
grab the cookie and verify via the db exactly who that session id
belongs to. Super simple :)

--
Imran Hussain
https://sucs.org