[Jokes] How to prove that all odd numbers are prime

Peter Berry pwb at sucs.org
Tue Mar 27 01:46:41 BST 2007

from http://www.gdargaud.net/Humor/OddPrime.html ...

Mathematician:
     3 is prime, 5 is prime, 7 is prime, and by induction we have that all
the odd integers are prime.

Physicist:
     3 is prime, 5 is prime, 7 is prime, 9 is an experimental error...

Engineer:
     3 is prime, 5 is prime, 7 is prime, 9 is prime...

Chemist:
     3 is prime, 5 is prime... hey, let's publish!

Modern physicist using renormalization:
     3 is prime, 5 is prime, 7 is prime, 9 is ... 9/3 is prime, 11 is
prime, 13 is prime, 15 is ... 15/3 is prime, 17 is prime, 19 is prime, 21
is ... 21/3 is prime...

Quantum Physicist:
     All numbers are equally prime and non-prime until observed.

Professor:
     3 is prime, 5 is prime, 7 is prime, and the rest are left as an
exercise for the student.

Confused Undergraduate:
     Let p be any prime number larger than 2. Then p is not divisible by 2,
so p is odd. QED

Measure nontheorist:
     There are exactly as many odd numbers as primes (Euclid, Cantor), and
exactly one even prime (namely 2), so there must be exactly one odd
nonprime (namely 1).

Cosmologist:
     3 is prime, yes it is true....

Computer Scientist:
     10 is prime, 11 is prime, 101 is prime...

Programmer:
     3 is prime, 5 is prime, 7 is prime, 9 will be fixed in the next
release, ...

C programmer:
     03 is prime, 05 is prime, 07 is prime, 09 is really 011 which everyone
knows is prime, ...

BASIC programmer:
     What's a prime?

COBOL programmer:
     What's an odd number?

Windows programmer:
     3 is prime. Wait...

Mac programmer:
     Now why would anyone want to know about that? That's not user
friendly. You don't worry about it, we'll take care of it for you.

Bill Gates:
     1. No one will ever need any more than 3.

ZX-81 Computer Programmer:
     3 is prime, Out of Memory.

Pentium owner:
     3 is prime, 5 is prime, 7 is prime, 8.9999978 is prime...

GNU programmer:
     % prime
     usage: prime [-nV] [--quiet] [--silent] [--version] [-e script]
--catenate --concatenate | c --create | d --diff --compare | r --append |
t --list | u --update | x -extract --get [ --atime-preserve ] [ -b,
--block-size N ] [ -B, --read-full-blocks ] [ -C, --directory DIR ]
[--checkpoint ] [ -f, --file [HOSTNAME:]F ] [ --force-local ] [ -F,
--info-script F --new-volume-script F ] [-G, --incremental ] [ -g,
--listed-incremental F ] [ -h, --dereference ] [ -i, --ignore-zeros ] [
--ignore-failed-read ] [ -k, --keep-old-files ] [ -K, --starting-file F ]
[ -l, --one-file-system ] [ -L, --tape-length N ] [ -m,
--modification-time ] [ -M, --multi-volume ] [ -N, --after-date DATE,
--newer DATE ] [ -o, --old-archive, --portability ] [ -O, --to-stdout ] [
-p, --same-permissions, --preserve-permissions ] [ -P, --absolute-paths ]
[ --preserve ] [ -R, --record-number ] [ [-f script-file]
[--expression=script] [--file=script-file] [file...]
     prime: you must specify exactly one of the r, c, t, x, or d options
     For more information, type "prime --help''

Unix programmer:
     3 is prime, 5 is prime, 7 is prime, ...
     Segmentation fault, Core dumped.

Computer programmer:
     3 is prime, 5 is prime, 7 is prime, 9 is prime, 9 is prime, 9 is
prime, 9 is ...
     Oops, let's try that again:
     3 is prime, 5 is prime, 7 is prime, 9 is ... 3 is prime, 5 is prime, 7
is prime, 9 is ... 3 is ...
     Um, right. Okay, how about this:
     3 is not prime, 5 is not prime, 7 is not prime, 9 is not prime...
     So much for the beta releases. Ship this:
     3 is prime, 5 is prime, 7 is prime, 9 is a feature, 11 is prime...
     and put on the cover "More prime numbers than anyone else in the
industry !"

Coming soon:
     3 is a prime, 4 is a feature, 5 is a prime, 6 is a feature, 7 is a
prime, 8 is not yet implemented, 9 is our backwards compatibility module,

Computational linguist:
     3 is an odd prime, 5 is an odd prime, 7 is an odd prime, 9 is a very
odd prime, ...

Software tech support operator:
     Well, we haven't had any reports of composite odd numbers... do you
have the latest version of ZFC?

Minesweeper addict
     1 is green, 2 is blue, 3 is orange, 4 is red...

Logician:
     Hypothesis: All odd numbers are prime
     Proof:

        1. If a proof exists, then the hypothesis must be true
        2. The proof exists; you're reading it now.