[SUMC] Start of the year competitions

SUMC Committee sumc at sumc.org.uk
Wed Jan 11 14:51:18 GMT 2017

Hi everyone,

Hope that everyone has had a good Winter break and aren't getting too
stressed over exam season. If you are, then a good solution is to climb!
Specifically get training for a number of competitions that we've got lined
up for the start of this year before we can all get outdoors in the fabled
glorious weather of Swansea and Pembroke.

Dates for your diaries:

*25th Jan (Deadline)/ 18th Feb - BUCS Bouldering Comp (Sheffield):* Seeing
as the qualifying rounds of the BUCS Bouldering competition were cancelled
last year, as they didn’t receive enough entries, we’ve been given a
straight pass into the finals! BUCS gives you guys the chance to compete
for the university in a fun, light-hearted setting up in Sheffield, where
you’ll be able to meet up with other climbers from across the country and
show them how strong Swansea climbers are! The *DEADLINE for me to give in
dates for this is the 25th January*, so if you’re interested in competing
then please let the committee know via email or me personally over
Facebook, carrier pigeon, smoke signals, however! Just make sure it’s
*BEFORE* the 25th as I’ll most likely need to make a short list before I
decide on the final team. Just like we did for BUCS Lead Comp we’ll hire a
minibus to take competitors up to Sheffield on the Friday night and spend
the night up there as the comp starts Saturday morning, then head back down
on the Saturday evening. There will be a small charge to help cover costs
for transport, but accommodation and entries should be covered by the uni.

*4th Feb – First round of the SWUBC (South West Universities Bouldering
Championship) (Tavistock):* A lot of work has been put into making this a
reality so it would be great if we could show our support and crush the
other competitors! Still looking at whether we have a deadline for
submitting names for this one, but the sooner you can let me know if you’re
interested the better. *Entry fees are £10 per person*, plus transport
costs. If we have enough people interested then we again might be able to
hire a minibus, otherwise train or cars might have to be in demand.

*16th Feb – Boulders ‘Dia de los Muertos’ Bouldering Comp. (Cardiff): *Boulders
are hosting a fun lights out, NEON bouldering comp! With prizes, music,
food, climbing and friends what more could you really ask for! Lights out
bouldering on neon holds under black lights! Especially for this event guys
you’re allowed to go topless and use all the body paint you want (Sorry
girls!)And fancy dress is encouraged as there are *prizes for best costume
too*! *Entry fees are £15* and include an *Event t-shirt,* which are
normally great to have as a souvenir. *However if you sign up before the
19th Jan then entry cost is only £12. *Contact Boulders on :(029)2048880 to
register yourself. Registration starts at 17:30 on the day, with the comp
starting at 18:30. Finals are at 21:00.
http://bouldersuk.com/event/dia-de-los-muertos/

*Varsity TBC (Cardiff): *There will be a Climbing Varsity again this year,
hopefully in Boulders but will give you more details when we get some. All
we know is that it’ll be in Varsity week.

Please let me know ASAP if you’re interested in competing in any of the
comps so that we can perhaps get some more formal training goals set.

Cheers,

Stuart McDowell

SUMC Training Officer 2016/17

Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/s.u.m.c/ (@s.u.m.c)
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/swanseamountaineers/

Invoice Address:
Swansea University Students Union
c/o Swansea University Mountaineering Club