[mw-devel] MW3 r878 - in branches: . portable/src

Steve Hill steve at nexusuk.org
Fri Apr 28 09:29:36 BST 2006

On Fri, 28 Apr 2006, Peter Berry wrote:

> You can still argue about endianness or differences between compilers /
> wildly different architectures, but this is really just a kludge to avoid
> having to convert the old files :)

You could standardise on storing the data in network byte order since
there are nice predefined functions for dealing with that...

> Of course the proper solution to get some decent abstraction in the file I/O,
> then change to using a non-binary format (like UTF-8 encoded XML which would
> also solve the endian issue), but that would take more effort than I can be
> bothered with.

I wouldn't use XML for live database storage - it's horribly slow.  Great
for transferring data between systems but damned slow and bloated for
general use - if you want to use XML then really you need to have a
database daemon that will do lookups in binary files and return blobs of
XML...  or you could just use SQL :)

--

  - Steve