[mw-devel] MW3 r1051 - trunk/src

Justin Mitchell arthur at sucs.org
Tue Jul 22 09:27:27 BST 2008

On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 06:06:21PM +0100, Peter Berry wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Jul 2008, arthur at sucs.org wrote:
>
> > Author: arthur
> > Date: 2008-07-21 16:08:23 +0100 (Mon, 21 Jul 2008)
> > New Revision: 1051
> <snip>
> > Log:
> > no asserts, no compression. backing changes out again.
>
> Would be nice if you gave some reasons for reverting...?
>
> Although personally I think the problem of limited space would be better
> addressed by making the available space bigger, say by using a more
> sensible storage format.

First assert() as has been mentioned repeatedly and endlessly on talker.
asserts either crash the program, or do nothing.
crashing the program or in any other way terminating suddenly is a bug and
is totally unacceptable. and whats the point in adding the test if your going
to do nothing.  either the test was important so do the test and handle it
gracefully, or it wasnt, so dont bother.

on compression, the structures are supposed to be simple and easy to
process and handle, having the complexity and cpu overheads of a compressed
field just to get a few extra characters in is just crazy. either extend
the struct properly, or use an alternate storage method.

the existing doing field was only used because it was quick and easy to
adapt for the purpose and was otherwise pretty much redundant. A nicer
solution might be storing the data in some external form that can also
be accessible by the sucssite pages.