[Pybackpack] backup support types

seth vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Mon Aug 27 15:09:51 BST 2007

On Thu, 2007-08-23 at 15:26 +0100, Andrew Price wrote:

> It's not totally full of crazy ;) In addition, it would help speed up CD
> or DVD backups which don't require reverse diffs (perhaps it would make
> disc spanning easier to implement too). I guess the way to make this
> happen is to define a common interface for the different backup methods
> so we could do something like, but better than:
>
> method = gui.getbackupmethod()
> try:
>   method.progress_attach(somefunction) # Attach progress callback
>   method.checkdest(backupset)
>   method.backup(backupset)
> except BadDestinationError:
>   # Report bad dest
> except BackupFailure:
>   # Report failure
>
> One difficulty would be how to offer a simple user interface to all
> these backup options. I'm sure it's doable though, the user must know
> what kind of backup destination they'll be using. So good defaults and
> discoverable options is the way to go.

It could be a setup dialog with questions:
1. do you need to encrypt your backups? if yes, then duplicity and stop
asking.

2. do you want to make an extra copy of your data to media or another
system? if yes, then plain rsync

3. do you want to be able to restore from any time you've made a backup?
if yes then rdiff-backup

or

it could just be 'assume rsync' and let the more enlightened user know
to look for things to change.

-sv