[Pybackpack] Windows port?

Andrew Price andy at andrewprice.me.uk
Mon May 14 12:16:09 BST 2007

On 14/05/07 11:07, Chencho Pc-cito wrote:
> Hi all.
Hi Chencho, welcome to the list

> Recently i discover rdiff-backup, and i use it on debian servers.
>
> Now i found your great GUI for Linux PC (i tested it on ubuntu) and i wonder
> if it's possible port it to windows systems (it's writted in python, so i
> thinks it not will be too diffcult, not?)

I'm pretty sure that GTK has been ported to Windows and Python is indeed
multi-platform. I expect the way to make it work on Windows would be as
simple as replacing the Gnome/*nix specific parts with Windows
equivalents, but it might be more complicated than that in reality.

At the moment pybackpack uses some Gnome-specific libraries for things
like CD burning and remote filesystem browsing and external programs
like mkisofs. These parts (and probably others) would need to be
replaced with modules/programs that work on Windows, or under Cygwin I
guess.

Having said that, I don't personally use Windows and I don't have it
installed on any of my machines so I'm not going to be developing it for
Windows any further than making it easier to port to other platforms in
general (an ongoing mission). I don't have any experience with Cygwin
either so I'm not sure how having to run rdiff-backup under it would
affect things.

But of course, the code is out there and free to read and tweak, so if
anybody wants to start patching it to work on Windows I'm more than
happy to consider their patches for inclusion into pybackpack.

Have a nice day

--
Andy Price
http://andrewprice.me.uk