[SUCS Devel] Current Direction for SUCS Sites

Imran Hussain imranh at sucs.org
Sun Dec 2 15:18:20 GMT 2018

On 2018-12-02 12:50, Alex (vectre) wrote:
> mod_python isn't very well maintained. It was last updated in 2013
> (http://modpython.org/) and from memory, the Apache Foundation decided
> they wouldn't be funding it's development any longer. mod_wsgi is
> probably the way to go and a transition over to it would probably be
> best in terms of long-term compatibility and security.

Well we also use mod_php which is just as unsupported but alas this is
our only reasonable option in our multi-user shared hosting environment
unless we massively overhaul our entire account management process,
which there's not enough man power to do. Take a look at mw replay to
see my adventures of trying to get other modules for php and python
working but just not fitting our needs.

>> So I'm going to go for php and smarty, it's dirt simple and easy -
>> https://www.smarty.net/crash_course
>
> My only issue with using php is that it's not a language students
> really learn any more. I don't know anyone that can write PHP whilst
> most people I know can program in JS, Python or something along those
> lines. My concern here is that future students won't maintain the
> sites as they don't want to learn PHP, which is understandable. We'd
> then end up with another complete rewrite.

php has c-like syntax, if you can do java which is still taught you can
read php, even better if it's commented. Take a look at this
https://projects.sucs.org/sucssite/paf-lookup/blob/master/index.php or
https://projects.sucs.org/sucssite/gameauth/blob/14d523370709ee589115847ee6e3b92bf88b597c/index.php
and tell me it's not easy to follow (i actually want feedback as I wrote
that so I havea  bias).

The whole point of doing all of this is to make everything easier to
rewrite by decoupling it from each other.

If I end up being the person to rewrite the main www.sucs.org, there's
going to be 0 dynamic content, just pure html/css. Super simple to
rewrite.

Just because I'm heading down one way doesn't mean other have to follow,
feel free to to do the same work as me but how you want and at the end
whatever is better can be used.

--
Imran Hussain
https://sucs.org