[SUCS Devel] Current Direction for SUCS Sites

Alex (vectre) vectre at sucs.org
Sun Dec 2 12:50:30 GMT 2018

On 02/12/2018 09:58, Imran Hussain wrote:
> We are going with Google MDL the orange+blue version.
That's a good idea - use a common design system that makes it easy to
implement domain wide changes.

> What language/framework? Can't currently run Django on silver :(
> (issues with mod_wsgi and mod_python conflicting - we need mod_python
> for guestnet).
mod_python isn't very well maintained. It was last updated in 2013
(http://modpython.org/) and from memory, the Apache Foundation decided
they wouldn't be funding it's development any longer. mod_wsgi is
probably the way to go and a transition over to it would probably be
best in terms of long-term compatibility and security.
> So I'm going to go for php and smarty, it's dirt simple and easy -
> https://www.smarty.net/crash_course

My only issue with using php is that it's not a language students really
learn any more. I don't know anyone that can write PHP whilst most
people I know can program in JS, Python or something along those lines.
My concern here is that future students won't maintain the sites as they
don't want to learn PHP, which is understandable. We'd then end up with
another complete rewrite.

Cheers,

Alex