[SUCS Devel] New direction for the SUCS Site(s?)

Justin Mitchell arthur at sucs.org
Mon Nov 12 12:10:58 GMT 2018

On Mon, 2018-11-12 at 11:39 +0000, Imran Hussain wrote:
> On 12.11.2018 11:28, Andrew Price wrote:
> > This will create a lot of duplication of theming and content, fun
> > interdependencies (cross-links, APIs...), challenges in deploying
> > dependent changes at the same time, etc. I would suggest not
> > rushing
> > to make these changes happen.
>
> Yes this is a big negative. Just look at GNU/Hurd.
>
> I think we should take the direct of these micro-sites not
> interacting or depending on each other.

One thing that may however be essential is session handling,
it could be worth while figuring out a way to standardise a single sign
on system that can be used across all of the micro-sites regardless of
what they are written in,  that way there will at least be some
coherence to everything.

to a lesser extent then some standardised themeing, style sheets at the
least that the sites can each use which have the official colours,
logos, and fonts.  So that there is at least a basis for each micro
site to build from.

it then wouldn't hurt if some of the micro sites, at least the initial
ones, could share some kind of templating modules and other common code
just to prevent duplication. but that doesnt restrict any one site
being reimplemented another way later.

so basically i don't think that multiple micro-sites need inherently
suffer all of the potential issues if a little careful planning is put
into place.