Pen-y-Fan, Peak District, and a trip round the world!

uwshiking uwshiking at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Oct 11 14:42:07 BST 2004

Hello again happy hikers!

Or not so happy, after yesterdays antics. Many apologies for the coaches no-show, and having to cancel the Precelli Hills walk. The good news however, is that everyone can have a full refund on their MPF's, just come along to a sign up, and there are already plans to re-shedule the walk for later in the term, so look out for that one.

Anyway, on to this week. This Sunday October 17th sees our first visit to the wonderfull Brecon Beacons this year, and to the highest point in the park, Pen-y-Fan. This is a C walk, and there is some serious climbing involved (compared to the first walk of term!). Obviously many of you who wanted to do yesterdays B walk before this one haven't been able to, but if you think you might be able to manage it, have a chat to us at the sign up. If you're up for a challenge, this is the walk your boots have been waiting for! It costs a mere £3.50, and sign ups are as normal this week.

The following weekend we have no Sunday walk, but don't despair. That's only because its our first weekend away, to the Peak District National Park in the north of England! Leaving on Friday October 22nd and returning the evening of Sunday 24th, we manage to squeeze two walks into one weekend, including the unmissable Kinder Scout, site of the mass tresspass in 1932 which helped establish our right to walk over open countryside! The weekend will cost £25, including transport and accommodation, but you will need to bring a sleeping bag and food for the weekend. More details to follow. The sign up for this weekend will be Tuesday October 19th at 6.00pm in JC's. Places are very limited, and are on a first come first served basis, so get there early! Places cannot be booked in advance.

After the Peak District sign up, we'll be heading down to Mumbles to do the mile, hiking club style! This is our unique version of the mumbles mile, the Round the World Pub Crawl! This may sound ambitious for a Tuesday evening, but never fear, you won't need a ticket, and we'll even provide the passports! For one night, each pub becomes a country, and at each we'll sample a drink from that country! So, Guinness for Ireland, Vodka for Russia, and, if your stomach can stand it, a Mexican Tequila to round off the evening! Up for the challenge? Then make your way down to the White Rose for 7.30pm on Tuesday October 19th. or meander down there with us after the sign up!

OK folks, that's all from me for now. Have a good week.
Sarah :)