[Hiking] Equipment Trip and Preseli Hills

UWS Hiking hiking at sucs.org
Mon Oct 3 19:47:33 BST 2005

Hello all,

Hope you're all settling (back) into life at university! Just a quick
e-mail to let you know what's happening this week.
But first... as anyone who was there last Sunday will tell you, we
were blessed with good weather for the first walk of term. It was
great to see so many new faces alongside the regulars. Photos can be
found here - http://www.uwshiking.org.uk/gallery/rhossili-to-port-
eynon05 (if you have any photos from any of the walks you can e-mail
them to us, or bring them along on CD to a signup)

Onto this week...
The Equipment Trip originally planed for this Tuesday (the 4th), has
been moved to next Tuesday (the 11th) due to staffing problems at the
shop.
We are offering a social in JC's this Tuesday instead. So come meet
us in the quiet side of JC's from 6pm for a few drinks!

This Sundays walk takes us to Pembrokeshire and the Preseli Hills, A
bare, haunting upland of gently sweeping hills scattered with remains
of stone circles, burial chambers and standing stones. It was from
these hills that around 2000 - 1500 BC huge "blue stones" were
somehow transported 200 miles (320 Km) away to Sonehenge, where they
were used to form the inner circle. This is a B grade walk (for more
on walk grades see our web site - http://www.uwshiking.org.uk) so
walking boots and waterproofs are essential!
You can sign up between 12:30 and 13:30 on Wednesday or Friday in JC's

Thinks you need to bring on walks..
* Walking Boots (To provide ankle support, preferably waterproof)
* Waterproof (Both tops and bottoms, the club has a very limited
supply you can borrow)
* Sensible Trousers (Jeans are not acceptable as they become heavy
and hard to walk in when when wet.)
* Food and drink (Enough food for your lunch, and enough water to
last you the day)
* Money (For the pub!)
If you don't have boots or a waterproof yet , and cant make our
Equipment Trip you can find a list of local shops as well as the
student discount offered on our web site - http://
www.uwshiking.org.uk/info/swansea-shops.

Hope to see you all soon!

Chris :)