[Hiking] social, walk and equipment

Andrew Sprules publicity at uwshiking.org.uk
Tue Oct 3 14:18:46 BST 2006

Hello hikers,

I hope all of you, new members and old members, that went on last Sunday's
walk had fun and really enjoyed it and I hope to see you all at this
Sunday's walk as well as the social tonight.

Tonights social (3rd October) is a start of year drinks in the quiet side
of JCs at 7:30pm. This is a chance for members of the club old and new to
have a few drinks whilst getting to know the other members of the club and
to catch up with old friends. Its also a great opportunity to make new
friends in the club so do come along!

This Sunday's walk takes us to Preseli Hills and is a grade B2 walk. This
is in Pembrokeshire where there are hills which makes for different and
interesting scenery. If you haven't already signed up come along to either
of the sign-ups on Wednesday or Friday 12:30 till 1:30pm in the quiet side
of JCs. The cost of the walk is £5 and there are still plenty of spaces
available so come along!

Also the club will now start to enforce the rule of no tainers and no
jeans. So please don't wear trainers and jeans to hikes, if we see you
wearing them you will be stopped from going on the hike without a refund
for the safety of the whole group. Trainers are not waterproof and lack
the grip that walking boots have, so in trainers you are more likely to
slip and break a bone. When wet, jeans get heavy and take a long time to
dry so wear suitable walking trousers. Take waterproofs on walks even if
its sunny, the weather can suddenly change to heavy rain, this is Wales!!!
An equipment trip will take place soon for you to buy kit you may need.
The club does prefer you to wear hiking boots with ankle support, however
we don't mind if you wear hiking shoes without ankle support as these
shoes are suitable for now. If you are unsure about any of these points
made about hiking equipment please do get in touch with any member of the
committee or come along to any of the sign-ups where a committee member
will be more than happy to answer your questions. Afterall we are
interested in ensuring everyone's safety on the walks.

If you are lacking hiking kit or would like to buy new kit we as a club
have an equipment trip to Leisure Quest on Wednesday 11th October. This is
in the town centre where we have the shop to ourselves in the evening
where you get a 15% discount on anything you buy and we have free wine and
cheese! We will first meet in JCs, a later e-mail will tell you when we
shall be meeting. Do come along and buy anything you need, after this trip
there won't be much of an excuse for you not having the correct personal
equipment on the hikes. This is a fun social so do come along and after we
visit Leisure Quest we head to a pub for a drink and a chat.

Well that is all for now, not all e-mails are this long I promise! I hope
you're having a great first week of lectures and I look forward to seeing
as many of you as possible tonight in JC's at 7:30pm and on this Sunday's
hike. If you do have any further queries please do contact any member of
the committee or come along to any of the sign-ups.

Thankyou for reading this and I hope you all have fun!

Bye

Andrew
(Publicity Secretary)

http://www.uwshiking.org.uk