[Jokes] Don't you just love America?

Denis Walker dez at sucs.swan.ac.uk
Mon Dec 17 17:24:42 GMT 2001

This is the transcript of the ACTUAL radio conversation
of a US Naval ship and the Canadians, off the coast
of Newfoundland, Oct 95.  The radio conversation was released
by the Chief of Naval Operations 10-10-95.

Canadians:
Please divert your course 15 degrees to the South, to avoid a collision.

Americans:
Recommend you divert your course 15 degrees to the North, to avoid collision.

Canadians:
Negative. You will have to divert your course 15 degrees to the South to
avoid a collision.

Americans:
This is the Captain of a US Navy ship. I say divert YOUR course.

Canadians:
Negative. I say again, You will have to divert your course.

Americans:
THIS IS THE AIRCRAFT CARRIER USS LINCOLN. THE SECOND LARGEST SHIP IN THE
UNITED STATES ATLANTIC FLEET, WE ARE ACCOMPANIED BY THREE DESTROYERS,THREE
CRUISERS, AND NUMEROUS SUPPORT VESSELS. I DEMAND THAT YOU CHANGE YOUR
COURSE 15 DEGREES NORTH, I SAY AGAIN,

THAT'S 15 DEGREES NORTH, OR COUNTERMEASURES WILL BE UNDERTAKEN TO ENSURE
THE SAFETY OF THIS SHIP.

Canadians:
We are a lighthouse. Your call.

--