[Jokes] humble pie

Chris McKenna cmckenna at sucs.org
Sat Jul 31 23:18:17 BST 2004

>From a California paper:

"We apologize for referring to Sgt Brown as a member of the defective
branch of the police force. He is, of course, a member of the detective
branch of the police farce."

----

IMPORTANT NOTICE: If you are one of hundreds of parachuting enthusiasts
who bought our Easy Sky Diving book, please make the following correction:
on page 8, line 7, the words 'state zip code' should have read 'pull rip
cord'.

----

It was incorrectly reported last Friday that today is T-shirt Appreciation
Day. In fact, it is actually Teacher Appreciation Day.

----

>From a California bar association's newsletter : Correction - the
following typo appeared in our last bulletin: 'Lunch will be gin at 12:15
p.m'. Please correct to read '12 noon'.

----

The marriage of Miss Freda van Amburg and Willie Branton, which was
announced in this paper a few weeks ago, was a mistake which we wish to
correct.

----

Yesterday we mistakenly reported that a talk was given by a bottle-scared
hero. We apologize for the error. We obviously meant that the talk was
given by a battle-scarred hero.

----

Apology: I originally wrote, "Woodrow Wilson's wife grazed sheep on front
lawn of the White House.' I'm sorry that typesetting inadvertently left
out the word 'sheep'."

----

The following is an ad from a real-life newspaper which appeared four days
in a row -- the last three hopelessly trying to correct the first day's
mistake.

MONDAY:

For sale: R.D. Jones has one sewing machine for sale. Phone 948-0707 after
7 P.M. and ask for Mrs. Kelly who lives with him cheap.

TUESDAY Notice:

We regret having erred in R.D. Jones' ad yesterday. It should have read,
"One sewing machine for sale cheap. Phone 948-0707 and ask for Mrs. Kelly,
who lives with him after 7 P.M."

WEDNESDAY Notice:

R.D. Jones has informed us that he has received several annoying telephone
calls because of the error we made in the classified ad yesterday. The ad
stands correct as follows: "For sale. R.D. Jones has one sewing machine
for sale. Cheap. Phone 948-0707 after 7 P.M. and ask for Mrs. Kelly who
loves with him."

THURSDAY Notice:

I, R.D. Jones, have no sewing machine for sale. I smashed it. Don't call
948-0707 as I have had the phone disconnected. I have not been carrying on
with Mrs. Kelly. Until yesterday she was my housekeeper but she quit!

----

"In our magazine, The Editor, page 3, February 11, we referred to the Six
nations rugby [union] tournament in which we said 'Wales thrashed France'
- a possibly partisan way of interpreting the actual result: Wales 3,
France 36."

----
>From The Guardian, 2 Feb 1999:

"The absence of corrections yesterday was due to a technical hitch rather
than any sudden onset of accuracy."

--
Chris 'Awkward' McKenna

cmckenna at sucs.org