[SUMC] How to log your climbs

SUMC Committee sumc at sumc.org.uk
Sat Dec 8 12:49:05 GMT 2012

This E-mail is just a bit of extra curricular knowledge of logging climbs
you've done. If you don't want to read it, then feel free not to, you won't
miss any important dates etc. I've been meaning to send it out for a while
now, so apologies for its lateness.

As some of you have been climbing lots outdoors, particularly on the
weekend away on gritstone climbing, by know you'll have started to
accumulate a completed climbs list. Instead of trying to remember
everything you climbed, how you climbed it, who with etc. Why not create an
online logbook of everything?

A very useful website other than our own is
www.ukclimbing.com<https://webmail.swan.ac.uk/owa/redir.aspx?C=d5d875e345bf49d78a96a59ab4d52760&URL=http%3a%2f%2fwww.ukclimbing.com>.
This website has loads of information about climbing in the UK, gear
reviews, forums, competitions, news, videos etc etc. It also has a logbook
feature that members can use to log their climbs as and when they do them.
As well as having a personal benefit of looking back over the years to see
what you did, it can also be useful for someone else to get a good
approximation of how hard you climb and what you're capable of.

As an example, heres my logbook:
http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/showlog.html?id=101101<https://webmail.swan.ac.uk/owa/redir.aspx?C=d5d875e345bf49d78a96a59ab4d52760&URL=http%3a%2f%2fwww.ukclimbing.com%2flogbook%2fshowlog.html%3fid%3d101101>
Here's training officer, Joe's:
http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/showlog.html?id=64913
and finally Charlotte el Presidente logbook:
http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/showlog.html?id=135408

If you're interested in getting your own, its pretty easy to do (and free
of course). Sign up to UKC using the buttons near the top and fill out your
details. Then to start adding climbs to your logbook, there are a couple of
ways to do it, but I'll explain one to reduce confusion.

1) On the homepage, go to '*Logbook*' and then '*Find crags map*'
2) Find the crag you climbed at. People who have been away on weekend
trips, you may need to ask your climbing partner this. Otherwise day trips
can be found on the archive of our website's events page.
3) This takes you to the crag page with lots of climbs listed. Default top
to bottom lists climbs left to right. In the table, you will see a check
box, the climb name, the grade, and then the number of people who have
logged that climb in the light grey colour.
4) Tick the boxes of the climbs you have done (again, may need to ask your
partner about these!) and click '*Add ticked climbs to logbook*'
5) Fill out the date you climbed it and how you climbed it. The style of
ascents are:

   - Boulder - Used for boulder problems surprisingly. Anything you climb
   without ropes but a boulder mat below you
   - Solo - Climbing with nothing but shoes and a chalk bag! Frowned upon
   during club trips btw...
   - Lead - Starting at the bottom, and climbing up placing protection
   (gear) on the way up
   - Alt lead - Alternative leads - Used for multipitch routes
   - Second - The vast majority of new comers will have done this. This is
   climbing on a top rope but taking protection/gear out on the way up
   - Top rope - Climbing with the rope already at the top and a belayer at
   the top. Not removing protection/gear

6) Next are the details. These change with every option so I wont list them
all, but for those seconding here are the options:

   - Clean onsight - Turned up, tried it, got up it with falling off
   - Clean with beta - Beta is inside knowledge on how to do the climb.
   Depending on how you want to use your logbook depends what you really class
   as beta IE someone telling me which way the route goes isn't beta, but
   telling me what moves to do and where to place protection IS beta. Most of
   you probably won't select this one though
   - Repeat ascent - Usually if you've done the climb before you'll
   remember some of the moves so you have your own beta. This option is for if
   you've done the climb for the second time (clean)
   - Worked - More applicable to sport climbs, working a climb means to
   practice it, certain moves, certain sections and then finally going all out
   and doing the climb in one. Working a route probably means taking a few
   falls during the process too...
   - Dogged - With falls/rests, pretty self explanatory really
   - Did not finish - If you didn't get up the climb and had to lower off
   then choose this one

7) Choose your partners. Later on you can link partner names to UK climbing
accounts, but for now you can add climbing partner names manually by
clicking '*Add Partner*'
8) Click '*Add climb(s)*'

Simple as that. You can also vote your own opinion on the climb, or add
notes to the climb such as 'Terrifying climb - change of trousers required'
or 'Fantastic even though it rained' etc. but don't forget your notes are
public and may discourage others from trying the climb!

Matt Ev