[SUMC] This week!

SUMC Committee sumc at sumc.org.uk
Mon Nov 3 10:49:53 GMT 2014

Hidey Hi Campers!

What exciting things are happening this week?

*Monday*
Dynamic rock have had a bouldering room reset meaning there are now 30
brand new problems to try! We thought this would be a great opportunity for
you to see how a bouldering competition format works.

Simply get a score card (£1) and start trying! Matt F is in charge of
picking the BUCS team this year and we'll be using these results to pick
the team. So if you want a chance to climb at probably the best indoor
bouldering centre in the UK, come and have a go!

Last week, Jess sent an E-mail out regarding club kit (as most of you don't
need it anymore and its quite heavy to lug around). This week, club kit
will be brought as normal, but after that you'll need to let her know! (The
E-mail will be sent out again later this week).

*Also on Monday...*
The sign up sheet opens for our first *North Wales trip*! We'll be staying
in a bunkhouse in North Wales so you'll need a sleeping bag and a roll mat
but generally its comfy. The trip cost is *£40* which is for fuel, the
bunkhouse and a communal evening meal (suggestions welcome). North Wales is
a fantastic place for outdoor adventures as climbing/scrambling/walking is
possible in (almost) any weather. North Wales is also home to some
fantastic multi-pitch adventures! Its basically an awesome place to go.
More details to follow, but if it sounds like your cup of tea, *sign up
opens at 12:00*.

*Tuesday*
Playzone social. I don't think I need to say anything more. Sign up is on
the website but is pretty full. We'll be meeting at JC's from 19:00 to
leave at 20:30 so if you can't make the evening feel free to come along for
a drink regardless!

The *LAST CHANCE* to pay the deposit for playzone is THIS Monday (today).
If you haven't paid your deposit by tonight, the reserves will get a chance
to get on the trip (we'll send you a message individually)

*Wednesday*
Standard 'non-organised' trips to dynamic rock or outdoors. Post a message
on the facebook group if you want to go/organise a lift etc.

*Thursday*
Uni wall session. Nothing planned yet but if you want to learn something
let us know and we'll see if its possible. We'll reset a route or two too
with our new drill. Woo! This Thursday is the *LAST CHANCE* to pay the peak
district deposit by! (see below)

*Friday*
Peak District trip
Ahhh cant wait for this! A weekend on the gritstone. If you still haven't
googled 'gritstone' yet or 'peak district climbing' here are some
appetisers:

Some climbing on grit
<http://www.steep-deep.co.uk/images/rotator/Rock_climbing_course_in_Derbyshire_Peak_District.jpg>
Some more climbing on grit
<http://www.throapham-house.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/4600724135_c53400b0a4_b.jpg>
Not gritstone climbing, but somehow included in the search results
<http://www.dynamicrock.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Mortalkombat.jpg>
But this is gritstone climbing too
<http://www.peak-district-cottages.com/peak-district-images/quietus-joe-simpson.jpg>

If you've signed up on the website, *PLEASE ADD A TIME YOU CAN LEAVE* if
you haven't already. We'll be sorting out car drivers soon so we need to
know.

On a similar note, the* last chance* to pay your deposit by for the trip is
*THURSDAY* at the uni wall. If its not in by then your sign up will be
removed and the next reserve will be contacted. To avoid disappointment,
pay Chris Lyus on Monday (even if you don't come on the trip).

*Do you have any other questions?*
We're discussing whether an evening in a lecture theatre (before a film
night perhaps) would be of interest to you guys. Whether its about how the
club runs or climbing questions in general we can answer them. Its better
to ask a question rather than guess and get it wrong! Plus some of you may
have the same question and might hear your question get answered...
If you are interested let us know and we'll try sort something out.

Right-o, back to work!

Matt Ev

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/swanseamountaineers/

Invoice Address:
Swansea University Students Union
c/o Swansea University Mountaineering Club