[Pybackpack] pybackpack thoughts and future

seth vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Wed Aug 22 08:56:51 BST 2007

On Wed, 2007-08-22 at 01:00 -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> Hi,
>  I've been playing with pybackpack off and on for a while now and I like
> the functionality it provides. It hits a nice niche of user backups and
> the interface is really quite simple to use. Thank you. I'd like to
> suggest a few directions to go to make it more ubiquitous and common on
> people's desktops. Tell me if you think I'm in deep-crack mode or
> not. :)
>

> First, the interface for adding files to any given backup is pretty good
> and straightforward. I wonder if it would be possible to make pybackpack
> a destination in nautius send-to? So I could right-click on any dir or
> file select send-to, pybackpack/some-backup-name and have that dir added
> to that pybackpack backup collection.

okay - so I was curious so I played with nautilus-python and pybackpack
a bit and I came up with this as a first-dash solution:

http://skvidal.fedorapeople.org/pybackpack-nautilus.py

install:
mkdir ~/.nautilus/python-extensions
put the above file in that directory
killall nautilus

when nautilus restarts itself right click on any file (or any selection
of files) and it should display all of your backup sets and you can
choose to add the selection of files to any of them.

that's it. It needs a default icon and probably some more error checking
- but it's pretty dirt simple.

So - I guess that's the first item down.

-sv