[Pybackpack] pybackpack thoughts and future

Russell Harrison rtlm10 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 01:42:08 BST 2007

On 8/23/07, Andrew Price <andy at andrewprice.me.uk> wrote:
> On 23/08/07 22:13, seth vidal wrote:
> > What configuration options are you thinking about?
>
> I've had requests for things like a configurable temporary directory
> (currently hardcoded to /tmp), the ability to specify where restored
> files are placed, and there are probably some other things that would be
> handy for users to be able to twiddle.
>
> > Just to be clear about my goals:
> >  I'm looking for a way of having a backup interface in fedora that can
> > quickly and easily get a new user attached to a remote backup system
> > and/or a remote storage service (rsync.net, amazon-s3, whatever). Gnome
> > is the default desktop a user will see if they install from the livecd
> > or off of the standard disks so I'm focusing on that first.

I'm looking at deploying fedora as a laptop image and backup is one of
the big gaps I need to close.  I'd love it if pybackpack were able to
provide a rudimentary solution in the short term.  Heck if enough
people get involved it may even turn into a long term solution!

> I'll have to do some research into the remote storage services because
> I've no clue what they offer and how to use them programatically but
> from what I've heard they are the Next Thing in home backup solutions
> (besides versioned home directories) and I do like the idea of offering
> support for them in pybackpack.

The more modular the better.  I can see storage providers writing
their own plugins because its easier than writing a gui from scratch
and helps them sell storage solutions.

> > I have a personal desire to be able to use this for my girlfriend and my
> > dad so  neither one of them will cry to me when their disk dies :)

I'm getting ready to move my wife over to a dual boot and this exact
thought crossed my mind as well.  ;-)

Russell
----
Russell Harrison