[Pybackpack] pybackpack thoughts and future

Andrew Price andy at andrewprice.me.uk
Thu Aug 23 23:07:13 BST 2007

On 23/08/07 22:13, seth vidal wrote:
> What configuration options are you thinking about?

I've had requests for things like a configurable temporary directory
(currently hardcoded to /tmp), the ability to specify where restored
files are placed, and there are probably some other things that would be
handy for users to be able to twiddle.

> Just to be clear about my goals:
>  I'm looking for a way of having a backup interface in fedora that can
> quickly and easily get a new user attached to a remote backup system
> and/or a remote storage service (rsync.net, amazon-s3, whatever). Gnome
> is the default desktop a user will see if they install from the livecd
> or off of the standard disks so I'm focusing on that first.

I'll have to do some research into the remote storage services because
I've no clue what they offer and how to use them programatically but
from what I've heard they are the Next Thing in home backup solutions
(besides versioned home directories) and I do like the idea of offering
support for them in pybackpack.

> I have a personal desire to be able to use this for my girlfriend and my
> dad so  neither one of them will cry to me when their disk dies :)

That's great motivation :)

--
Andy Price
http://andrewprice.me.uk