[Pybackpack] pybackpack thoughts and future

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 21:29:13 BST 2007

On Thu Aug 23 seth vidal wrote:
>> - Ability to run from the commandline or cron
>>   (e.g. pybackpack --nogui --backup mybackupset)
>
> Heh, another fedora contributor was asking for this specifically. :)

I'm pretty sure Seth is refering to me here.

Yeah... being able to push backups via other tools would be keen. I'm
particularly interested in being able to push updates via a scheduling
mechanism (cron for example) or "event" triggers.   Event trigger
examples...

1) I plug in my usb-key and pybackpack starts the backup associated
with that removable device.  I can sort of do 1) with usbsink right
now. But I'd like to see this sort of event activation incorporated
into pybackpack if possible.  Just plug the drive in, and let
pybackpack do its magic.

2) Wired network activates or VPN activates. I'd like to be able to
schedule backups for my work related stuff..to an ssh location at
work..when it makes sense to do it. Which means over the fast wired
link at work, or when I bring up the VPN.

And more speculatively, I'd like to see if it makes sense to tie
pybackpack in with what safekeep does, so individual users can
initiate backups to network adminstrator defined locations in the
site's safekeep configuration.

-jef