[Pybackpack] pybackpack thoughts and future

Russell Harrison rtlm10 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 25 00:34:37 BST 2007

On 8/24/07, Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yeah... being able to push backups via other tools would be keen. I'm
> particularly interested in being able to push updates via a scheduling
> mechanism (cron for example) or "event" triggers.   Event trigger
> examples...
>
> 1) I plug in my usb-key and pybackpack starts the backup associated
> with that removable device.  I can sort of do 1) with usbsink right
> now. But I'd like to see this sort of event activation incorporated
> into pybackpack if possible.  Just plug the drive in, and let
> pybackpack do its magic.

+1

> 2) Wired network activates or VPN activates. I'd like to be able to
> schedule backups for my work related stuff..to an ssh location at
> work..when it makes sense to do it. Which means over the fast wired
> link at work, or when I bring up the VPN.

This is one of the questions I've had for awhile with any backup
solution.  If pybackpack was able to be initiated from the command
line would this be something that could be handled with
NetworkManagerDispatcher scripts?  A simple script on device up could
check if time of last backup greater than some value, and if able to
connect to backup host, run pybackpack command line.  Does
NetworkManagerDispatcher execute anything when VPN connections come
up?

> And more speculatively, I'd like to see if it makes sense to tie
> pybackpack in with what safekeep does, so individual users can
> initiate backups to network adminstrator defined locations in the
> site's safekeep configuration.

So basically a back end that queries the safekeep server for a backup
set config and then executes it?

----
Russell Harrison
Systems Administrator -- Linux Desktops