[Pybackpack] pybackpack thoughts and future

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Sat Aug 25 01:11:19 BST 2007

On 8/24/07, Russell Harrison <rtlm10 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Well I had disreguarded safekeep before because it was initiated from
> the server side.  (Laptops, no Dynamic DNS) something like what you
> describe would make it interesting again since pybackpack could
> initiate the backup from the client side no matter what its IP was.

yeah safekeep is designed for server-side automation of rdiff-backup
easy for admins... but the reality is, a client tool that users can
actually use, goes a long long way to making restoring from such a
central network location... almost fun and adds immense value to
taking the time to build a central rdiff-backup server.  I really
really don't want to have to personally "help" users on my network
restore individual files. I like being able to automate the backup,
but they need a tool they can use to pull back from the central store
in those "Oh crap I just deleted a file accidently" moments.

-jef