[Pybackpack] pybackpack thoughts and future

Russell Harrison rtlm10 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 25 01:05:11 BST 2007

On 8/24/07, Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta at gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't know if you want to use the NM dispatcher scripts... or have a
> pybackpack daemon be dbus aware.  I think having a pybackpack dbus
> aware entity makes the most sense going forward. Something like the
> notifier that Seth has mentioned could be made dbus-aware and act on
> any number of events, usb, network what-have-you.  It also lets you
> send inhibit events to the power management i think. That way if a
> backup is in progress, you can inhibit suspend.  You really want
> automation like this tied to a desktop notifier, or else you don't get
> any feedback tell you its active.  A cmdline utility, is most useful
> for legacy usage...like cron. If we want to do event triggers then
> pybackpack should grow d-bus awareness for best long term impact.

I didn't know about inhibit events!  Thats very cool.  Obviously,
you're right about using dbus for this type of thing.  I was thinking
more in the short term, something quick and dirty.  With all of great
ideas being batted around its almost a problem of "drinking the
ocean".

> > So basically a back end that queries the safekeep server for a backup
> > set config and then executes it?
>
> Yeah, basically..query the safekeep server somehow and get a list of
> pre-defined backup sessions that the user has access to. Potentially
> makes restoring from a central server location on the network..a
> cakewalk for individual users.  There would need to be work on both
> sides to make it happen..but I'm not afriad to break both codebases to
> make it work :->

Well I had disreguarded safekeep before because it was initiated from
the server side.  (Laptops, no Dynamic DNS) something like what you
describe would make it interesting again since pybackpack could
initiate the backup from the client side no matter what its IP was.

----
Russell Harrison
Systems Administrator -- Linux Desktops
Cisco Systems, Inc.