[Pybackpack] Pybackpack development discontinued

Andrew Price andy at andrewprice.me.uk
Sun Jul 1 20:08:20 BST 2012

Hi all,

Due to time constraints and lack of interest I'm officially putting
pybackpack to bed, it has ceased to be, it is an ex-project.

If anybody still uses it for making backups, they needn't worry:
Pybackpack is essentially a graphical front end to rdiff-backup which
can be used to restore files from existing backups. Last I looked there
were other GUIs for rdiff-backup which could also be used to restore
files. Failing that, it is possible to restore the latest backup simply
by copying the files from the backup location.

Backup tools have come a long way since pybackpack was first created and
there are much better ones to be found, my current preference being Lars
Wirzenius's Obnam, a young but useful backup tool project which will
probably give rise to some graphical front ends in time, if it hasn't
already.

Pybackpack has not been in the Fedora repositories for a while and I'll
shortly be requesting its removal from future versions of Debian. I'm
going to shut down the wiki and bug tracker as well as this mailing list
in due course.

Andy