[All-societies] All-Societies E-mail

Treasurer treasurer at swansea-union.co.uk
Tue Nov 22 15:31:52 GMT 2005

Dear All,
As you can see I am slowly creeping back to that Monday position that was
originally planned for this mail out. No rant this week, merely a cunning
plan that entered my head so that I can help you guys in the future....

Can those societies that are/have organised parties/balls etc for this
Christmas, and plan to do a similar event for Easter or the summer, please
contact me about the details of their event. These details include venue,
date, and a breakdown of the pricing e.g. food, DJ's, technical support, and
I would also like the details of the terms and conditions of your agreement
with the venue i.e. are you liable for the costs of unsold tickets etc..
Getting this information is vital to ensure that the SU can get you a better
deal in the future, so if you are planning an event for the future, can you
ALL let me know ASAP. If I have all the details of all events then the SU
can bargain with venues over prices etc because we will put your events out
to tender. The more parties/balls we have to offer a venue, the more they
will drop the price because we can guarantee them several events where they
will make money and you guys will save money, or use the new profit margin
to bulk up you accounts. Let me know what you think about this idea, and
include the information above if its relevant to you. Cheers.

And now to business. Please forward relevant information to your
membership.......

This is me giving you fair notice that the next SU SGM (Student General
Meeting) is on the 1st of December, and ALL societies are constitutionally
obliged to send at least one representative from their committee. The SGM
will be held in the Faraday Lecture Theatre (formally the ESSO lecture
theatre) at 6pm. A register will be taken and failure for a society
committee member to turn up will result in a fine being placed on that
society. Last time was a trial run, this time we're serious. We don't mean
to be harsh, only to increase student body participation. This is the system
has existed for years. Please don't shoot the messenger!

Hello everyone! Our first SUSS (Swansea University Singles Society) social
will take place on Monday, 28th November in the non-smoking section of JC's
and will be a Speed Dating social from 8pm to 11pm, so that you can all go
to Time afterwards if you want! As we have a time limit we have to restrict
the number of people actually taking part in the speed dating event to no
more than 40 people; 20 guys and 20 girls. Now to be fair to our members,
they will be offered the opportunity to attend, for free, before we open the
event to all. Anyone is welcome to come along even if you don't want to
participate. For those that do, members will get in free and non-members
will have to pay £2. We will also be offering membership on the night for £3
as well which will get you a free profile and a condom! Posters will be up
around the Uni from tomorrow and the event will be advertised in the next
issue of Waterfront. If we get a good enough response then we will be having
a speed dating event once a month as of next term!

      SUSS

Yoga dance fusion night Sunday 27th November, 7-8:30 pm, Dining Room C in
Fulton House. £2 for members and £3 for non-members; ALL WELCOME! Great for
building self-confidence, just wear something nice and lively, and bring
water as it gets very active! For any more details contact:
uwsyogasociety at hotmail.co.uk

      Many Thanks

      Becki and Holly

Please remember that the SU is planning a balloon release this Friday on
Fulton House Lawn at 1pm in aid of the International Day Against Violence
Towards Women. If you would like to make a donation and get a chance to win
£100, please contact Gemma Loyden, SU Womens' Officer, on 01792 295770, or
e-mail her at womensofficer at swansea-union.co.uk. Alternatively you could
contact any of the other Sabb officers on 01792 295466.

The Xtreme Radio Society are having a 'cheese' night in Diva's tomorrow
(23/11/05)! Tickets cost £2.50 and are available from the ENTS box office or
on the door that evening. There are some great prizes on offer, and I
believe a selection of fine cheeses will be made available.

I (Owen - SU Treasurer) would like to gauge peoples opinion on the company
we use to provide you with society clothing. Please let me know if you have
or haven't had any kinds of problems with them before.

>From August to Christmas 2006 a certain Mr David Cornthwaite will be
longboarding 5,000 miles around Australia from Perth to Brisbane in order to
raise money for 3 charities - The Lowe Syndrome Trust, Link Community
Development and Sailability Australia. To show your support of this
incredible and laudable attempt by Dave, why not visit www.boardfree.co.uk
where you can buy a wristband, t-shirt or hoodie or get a longboarding
lesson from Dave. You can also donate online at www.justgiving.com/boardfree
or contact the man himself at dave at boardfree.co.uk. Some SU outlets have the
wristbands for sale already. RAG are having an Oz themed night on Friday the
2nd of December in Diva's in support of Dave, so please note the date in
your diary.

Any new society e-mail addresses? Changed contact details? Please let me
know ASAP.

As societies, you require training. Please contact John Follett on 01792
295112 or johnfollett at swansea-union.co.uk for all your society training
needs.

Please remember that all events require the appropriate forms which are an
Event Planner, Risk Assessment and Budget Planner. If you don't know how to
do this then please organise training for yourself and your committee (see
above).

Sorry for the marathon e-mail.

Best wishes,

Owen