[Jokes] stop a little sooner next time

Chris McKenna cmckenna at sucs.org
Wed Mar 16 16:33:18 GMT 2005

NORFOLK Naval Air Station Virginia -- One of  the military's largest
transports got stuck at the end of a runway atop the  I-564 overpass for
more than 16 hours. It was unable to turn around at the West  end of Chambers Field at
the Norfolk Naval Station.  The incident forced  the closing of the field to
all but helicopter traffic and made for a dramatic  sight for hundreds of
motorists passing beneath it during morning rush hour.

"That thing's like a big building sitting there.'' said motorists. The
nose of the aircraft actually stuck out and OVER the Interstate!

The  aircraft's nose was so far over the end of the ramp, the crew was
unable to see  the runway where it was supposed to turn around so the pilot
simply had to leave  it at the end of the runway.  The Air Force C-5 Galaxy,
largest airplane in  the free world, is almost as long as a football field and as
high as a six-story  building.

Weighing 420 tons with a full load, it uses a system of 28  wheels to
distribute its weight.  The aircraft had to wait for a specially  made tow
bar trucked in from Dover, Del. When the tow bar arrived, it was used  to hook
the C-5 to a tractor that then turned the aircraft around.  The  plane was not
damaged.

OK, Orville,  I  told you we should have stopped and asked for directions.

image: http://www.sucs.org/~cmckenna/humour/images/aircraftfreeway.jpg
--
Chris 'Awkward' McKenna

cmckenna at sucs.org